On the first friday of every month, South Bethlehem comes alive for a community celebration. Local merchants, restaurants and galleries open their doors to celebrate our awesome community. Our First Friday activities are headquartered at the Banana Factory Arts Center - The fun kicks off at 6pm each month and wraps up around 9pm.
First Friday Happenings- December 6, 2013
1st Floor of the Banana Factory
- PA Photographers Exhibition will be in the Crayola Gallery.
- Photographs by Eugene Richards will be in the Banko Gallery.
- InVision College Photography Contest will be in the Hallway to the Arts.
- NEW! Banana Factory Featured Artists: Adrian Sauers and Deborah Slahta.
- NEW! ArtsQuest Glass Studio Instructor and Student Glass Exhibit will be in Santa Bannon Fine Art Gallery. This showcase features the works of glass instructors and their advanced students at the Banana Factory. These emerging artists employ a vast array of techniques: blown glass, slumping, fusing, flaming, cane work, murine, hand-sculpting, and incalmo. All pieces are affordable and available for purchase.
- Kwesi Kankam will be performing from 6:30-8:30.
- Lower Macungie Library will be presenting two films in our Banko Gallery followed by a dance performance in connection with local group, HALA. The presentation will begin at 8:00PM with Latin Music USA, Episode One: Bridges, followed by From Mambo to Hip Hop: A South Bronx Tail. The dance performance will begin after the films around 9:00.
- This First Friday Cancer survivor, Rose Dopsovic, will be hosting a calendar release party in our Visual Arts Classroom. Rose is featured in "The Colandar," a calendar of colon cancer survivors created by the Colon Club. These calendars will be available for purchase with all processed going towards the Colon Club and their educational programs. For more information about Rose, the Colon Club, and "The Colandar" please check out www.colonclub.com.
- Check out author, Geoff Gehman, in our Olympus Digital Classroom as he holds a book signing at 7:00PM for his autobiography, The Kingdom of the Kid: Growing Up in the Long-Lost Hamptons. Gehman's book recalls a childhood on Long Island as the counterculture sixties were sliding into the seventies and the Hamptons were still a middle-class sanctuary.
- Visit ceramic artist Liz Wheeler for clay handbuilding play for children and ceramic demonstrations in the Ceramic Classroom.
- Come out of the cold and stop by our ArtsQuest Glass Studio for a glassblowing demonstration. Be sure to enter our raffle for a chance to win the glass piece made at last month's First Friday event!
- Maryann Riker will be adding a splash of colorful offerings from HeartFelt Jewelry to brighten up your winter wardrobe. Flowers and other fun stuff will be poppin' up in her artists' books from JUSTARIP Press. Need some Baubles for holiday gifts? HeartFelt jewelry has it!
- Susan Huxley's colorful up-cycle garments and jewelry are the perfect gift for any occasion! Join us and check out her unique fashions!
- Artist, Jessica Bastidas will transport you to another world with her unique, complex, and surreal paintings and drawings. Be sure to stop by her table to see her beautiful work in person.
- Janelle Hamscher will be showcasing her unique line of jewelry and accessories called PureSin! Pure Sin is a decadent collection of Halloween inspired pieces but also has some twists of a RAD girly look.
- Ron Gutman will be joining us this First Friday to showcase his immense talent within various art forms. Stop by to admire his ceramic flowers and his painted silk scarves!
- Lehigh University group, Fusion, will be in attendance to showcase the work of their students! Fusion studio is a student design agency and an extension of the Graphic Design program at Lehigh University. Students who are majors or minors in Graphic Design have the opportunity to experience "real life" assignments by solving the design problems of the Lehigh Community.
2nd Floor of the Banana Factory
- Pediatric Cancer Foundation of the Lehigh Valley will be joining us in their new space on the 2nd floor. PCFLV was set up to help support quality of life and long-term survivorship programs for children diagnosed with cancer and their entire family in the greater Lehigh Valley area. Join them to find out more about this inspiring organization.
3rd Floor of the Banana Factory
- Jewelry making demonstration 3rd Floor at 7:30 by Kevin Herbst Haaf in the Jewelry Studio #352
All Floors of the Banana Factory
- Open Studio Mingle with the Banana Factory Resident Artists on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor of the Banana Factory. (Art work is available for purchase throughout the Banana Factory)
*Additional public parking is available across the street from the Banana Factory at the Riverport Garage. For information about FREE mobile metered parking from 5PM to 10PM on 1st Fridays go to www.goparknow.com.