On the first friday of every month, South Bethlehem comes alive for a community celebration. Local merchants, restaurants and galleries open their doors to celebrate our awesome community. Our First Friday activities are headquartered at the Banana Factory Arts Center - The fun kicks off at 6pm each month and wraps up around 9pm.
First Friday Happenings- April 4, 2014
1st Floor of the Banana Factory
- Featured Artist, Laura Beth Love invites everyone to visit her studio (#102) on the first floor to view her new beautiful jewelry on display as well as a limited supply of her new book.
- NEW! Bethlehem Palette Club 66th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition in the Crayola Gallery. The Bethlehem Palette Club will announce their winners at the 66th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition Awards at 7PM. The exhibition, which was juried by Ross Mitchell, Executive Director of the Violette de Mazia Foundation, features 65 works of art by 44 Bethlehem Palette Club members.
- NEW! Hadyn Denman 4 Bethlehems Exhibition in the Banko Gallery
- ArtsQuest Annual Staff Exhibition in the Hallway to the Arts
- Featured Artist, Kimberly Tanzos invites everyone to visit her studio on the second floor (#244).
- Cathy's Creative Catering will be on hand to talk about catering options for events at the Banana Factory.
- Stop by our ArtsQuest Glass Studio for a spring-inspired glassblowing demonstration.
- Painter Helen Mirkil's stunningly beautiful Bucks County landscapes will be on display at Santa Bannon/Fine Art, Studio #93.
- Noted ceramicist Amedeo Salamoni will be displaying his face jugs and demonstrating this traditional art form in the Clay Classroom. The face jug as an art form grew out of a long-standing tradition among potters to put faces on jugs at the ends of long days at the wheel.
- Tim Higgins will be showing off his latest work in the Olympus Digital Imaging Center.
- NEW! Banana Factory Featured Artists: Kimberly Tanzos and Laura Beth Love
- It'll be roaring good time in our Visual Arts Classroom as Lisa Glover brings "Kit-Rex," a giant paper Velociraptor, to the Banana Factory. Lisa will also be engaging children of all ages with a miniature paper dino-making activity!
- ANNOUNCING NEW CLASSES! Stop by the Visual Arts classroom to meet the Banana Factory Registrar and receive a special discount on Banana Factory classes.
- Members of the improv and sketch comedy group Flighty Ducks will be on hand to talk about the Lehigh Valley Improv Scene and upcoming comedy events at SteelStacks and throughout the Lehigh Valley. They'll also be talking about upcoming comedy classes offered by ArtsQuest.
Janelle Hamscher's line of accessories includes handmade original funky jewelry, hair bows & other hair items with a hint of other designs. Pure Sin is inspired by a LOVE of Halloween, lots of colors, and amazing ART and is perfect for creating a unique look year-round! Well-rounded would be a perfect word for these iconic items! Cute, creepy, girly, nerdy, gothic, steampunk, rockabilly, and so much more!
- Shannon Phillips will be sharing her talents as a henna artist. Stop by for your own personal henna tattoo or just swing by to watch the art of henna taking place as she joins the Banana Factory's fun night of artful experiences!
- Ron Gutman will be on hand in our Visual Arts Classroom to demonstrate his crepe flowers technique and to show you how you can bring spring into your home in a new way.
- Mary Ann Richer will be adding a splash of colorful offerings from HeartFelt Jewelry to brighten up your wardrobe. Need some Baubles for a special someone? HeartFelt jewelry has it! And, because Spring has sprung, flowers and other fun stuff will be poppin' up in her artists' books from JUSTARIP Press.
- The First Friday performer will be Jessi Ross.
3rd Floor of the Banana Factory
- Banana Factory resident artist Jacqui Cornette will be offering a hands-on encaustic demonstration. Encaustic is an ancient painting technique that dates back to 5 BCE in Studio # 340. The word encaustic originates from the Greek word enkaustikos, which means "to burn in." The element of heat is critical in encaustic painting, which uses molten beeswax and pigment to create beautiful works of art.
- Jewelry making demonstration on the 3rd Floor by jewelry instructor Jeannette Mullarkey in the Jewelry Studio #352
All Floors of the Banana Factory
- Open Studio Mingle with the Banana Factory Resident Artists on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor of the Banana Factory. (Art work is available for purchase throughout the Banana Factory)
Sponsored by: South Italy Imports
*Additional public parking is available across the street from the Banana Factory at the Riverport Garage. For information about FREE mobile metered parking from 5PM to 10PM on 1st Fridays go to www.goparknow.com.