On the first friday of every month, South Bethlehem comes alive for a community celebration. Local merchants, restaurants and galleries open their doors to celebrate our awesome community. Our First Friday activities are headquartered at the Banana Factory Arts Center - The fun kicks off at 6pm each month and wraps up around 9pm.
First Friday Happenings- March 7, 2014
1st Floor of the Banana Factory
- Kevin Broad New Works Exhibition in the Crayola Gallery
- Jett Sarachek Exploration Exhibition in the Banko Gallery
- NEW! ArtsQuest Annual Staff Exhibition in the Hallway to the Arts
- NEW! Banana Factory Featured Artists: Virginia Abbott and Nessa Grainger
- Come out of the cold and stop by our ArtsQuest Glass Studio for a glassblowing demonstration.
- Ian Summers 1000 FACES – A Moving Experience Exhibition in Santa Bannon/Fine Art, Studio #93 "Ian is literally moving away. This is your last opportunity to collect this important contemporary artist's amazing original paintings." – Santa Bannon
- ANNOUNCING NEW CLASSES! Stop by the Visual Arts classroom to meet the Banana Factory Registrar and receive a special discount on select classes.
- Flighty Ducks & Friends (Dan Maher/Elizabeth Cavaseno/Matt Candio/Mike Luciano) Members of the improv and sketch comedy group Flighty Ducks will be on hand to talk about the Lehigh Valley Improv Scene and upcoming comedy events at SteelStacks and throughout the Lehigh Valley.
Janelle Hamscher's line of accessories includes handmade original funky jewelry, hair bows & other hair items with a hint of other designs. Pure Sin is inspired bya LOVE of Halloween, lots of colors, and amazing ART and is perfect for creating a unique look year-round! Well-rounded would be a perfect word for these iconic items! Cute, creepy, girly, nerdy, gothic, steampunk, rockabilly, and so much more!
- Shannon Phillips will be sharing her talents as a henna artist. Stop by for your own personal henna tattoo or just swing by to watch the art of henna taking place as she joins the Banana Factory's fun night of artful experiences!
- Ceramic Classroom: Scavenger hunt for children of all ages and Bubble Splatter Photo Activity
- Music by Dina Hall in the Crayola Gallery
- showcased Banana Factory Resident Caterer The Food Muse
- Girl Scout Troops 82044 and 82033 will be selling Girl Scout cookies in the Visual Arts Classroom
2nd Floor of the Banana Factory
- Improvisational mixed media drawings set to music by Banana Factory resident artist Liz Magno in Studio # 218
3rd Floor of the Banana Factory
Live charcoal drawing by Banana Factory resident artist Trisha Mae Samuel in Studio # 346
Banana Factory resident artist Jacqui Cornette will be demonstrating encaustic, an ancient painting technique that dates back to 5 BCE in Studio # 340.The word encaustic originates from the Greek work enkaustikos, which means to burn in. This element of heat is critical in encaustic painting. Essentially, encaustic painting uses molten beeswax and pigment. In other words, it is hot wax painting.
All Floors of the Banana Factory
- Open Studio Mingle with the Banana Factory Resident Artists on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor of the Banana Factory. (Art work is available for purchase throughout the Banana Factory)
*Additional public parking is available across the street from the Banana Factory at the Riverport Garage. For information about FREE mobile metered parking from 5PM to 10PM on 1st Fridays go to www.goparknow.com.